I’ve been working on the web since 2002, in nearly every role you can imagine. I started as a front-end developer and moved on to focusing on user experience and digital strategy in recent years. My diverse experience enables me to fill a unique role in teams, bridging the gap between designers, developers, and all the other areas that are necessary to build and maintain a strong online presence.
In the early part of my career, I was lucky enough to work at some pretty awesome places, such as the Library of Congress, AARP, Fannie Mae, and the Leadership Conference on Civil & Human Rights. I’ve also worked for Ralph Nader.
In 2012, I started speaking at web design and development conferences, where I give presentations on topics such as user experience, digital strategy, and responsive design. I have given talks or workshops at more than 60 events. I’m also an instructor in the web developer fast track program at the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT) and in 2017 I published an online course on HTML & CSS forms for Lynda.com.
I wrote a book called Learning Responsive Web Design: A Beginner’s Guide, which was published in 2014 by O’Reilly Media. This book is a start-from-the-beginning introduction to responsive design, targeted towards designers, project managers, department heads, and others who may have trouble getting into the many more technical, developer-focused books on responsive design. It’s great for the members of your team who are having trouble understanding the concept of responsive design, and everything that needs to happen to make a responsive website work well.
Currently I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, with my wonderful husband A.J. Kandy. I grew up in central Wisconsin (lots of cows), and I’ve also lived in Houston, Chicago, Washington, DC, and Montreal.
I currently have availability for consulting, and I’m open to a full-time position if the right one comes along. I am authorized to work in both Canada and the United States.
- Learning Responsive Web Design,
O’Reilly Media, 2014
- I’m a Daydream Believer
The Human in the Machine, August 2017
- Make Your Type Look Good on Any Device.
net magazine, June 2015.
(Sidebars: How fonts affect your website’s performance & How alignment and hyphenation improve your text’s impact)
- Responsive Web Design: How to Make Websites That Look Great on Any Screen.
Technori, February 11, 2013
- Career Clinic: Developer Insights – available on Lynda.com and LinkedIn Learning, February 2018
- HTML & CSS: Creating Forms – available on Lynda.com and LinkedIn Learning, August 2017
Press & Etc.
- Anger over gun laws voiced at March for Our Lives in Calgary
Global News Calgary, March 24, 2018 (video interview)
- [英]《学习响应式设计》作者Clarissa Peterson：响应式设计并不是万能的（图灵访谈）
iTuring, September 1, 2015 (interview in English)
- Responsive Color in CSS
Future Insights Blog, May 29, 2015
- Responsive Typography with Clarissa Peterson
CTRL+CLICK CAST, March 12, 2015
- Giving Women in STEM a Voice
Huffington Post Canada, February 12, 2015
- Designing Responsive Websites: Interview with Clarissa Peterson
EuroIA, September 2, 2014
- Responsive typography: The intersection of design and usability
WebVisions, August 6, 2014
- Clarissa Peterson on More Accessible Responsive Web Design
How Design, July 23, 2014
- Summit ’14: Talking with Clarissa Peterson
STC’s Notebook, April 20, 2014
- Startup seeks misfit phones to test Web experience
Washington Business Journal, September 21, 2012